It’s important to start good oral hygiene habits early and teach our children how to take of their teeth. The British Columbia Dental Association has some great resources for parents which include health tips and suggestions on how to pick a toothbrush for your child.
This information is available in 5 languages (English, Chinese, Spanish, Punjabi and Farsi) so if you know anyone who could use this information, make sure to share it.
Academy Dental is here for you to help answer questions about your child’s oral health. Give us a call to book your next appointment.
It’s common knowledge that high sugar food and drink like candy and soda are bad for your teeth, but the acidity of what we consume can also affect the health of our teeth.
Here’s an interesting list showing the acidity of common foods and drinks. The list includes lots of healthy food, so it’s good to know how to balance out the pH of what we eat.
Do you have concerns about your oral health? Give Academy Dental a call to schedule your next appointment.
The initial step that the dentist takes before the actual dental filling procedure is done is to numb the area. Usually, an injection is employed to administer the anesthesia while there is also the option to use the topical compound to numb the infected area. Most of the time, patients prefer not to go through this first stage because it is painful. They might ask the dentist to skip this step if the nerve from the infected tooth has already been removed or if the cavity that needs to be repaired is too small.
The second step is the process of tooth repair. The aim of this step is to get rid of all the decay destroying the teeth and whatever is left of its natural filling. Usually, dentists employ cold water drill. And the preparation of the tooth for the actual filling is them done by the dentist using clean water. Compressed air is then used to dry it.
The third step is to ensure that the tooth is properly cleaned and that all the cavities and decay have been removed. Once it has been thoroughly cleaned, the dentist then etches the surface with a type of acid to roughen the surface where the filling will be attached. This is to make sure that the filling will adhere to it easily. After this is done, a bonding agent is applied which is then exposed to the curing agent.
Your knowledge of how dental filling as a process done by the dentist will help you appreciate how it makes your dental health better. Give a call to us at Academy Dental to set up your next appointment and take a look to see if you’ll need any fillings.
What is your daily dental regimen? Do you brush your teeth three times a day or more than that? People’s dental practices vary from one person to another, but most know the rule that it’s important to brush your teeth at least twice a day. But did you know that brushing alone is not effective in keeping your teeth healthy and free of cavities?
If you want to truly save your teeth and yourself from extensive dental treatments, then you have to do more than just brush your teeth. Instead of sticking to just brushing alone, here are some of the best thing you can do to ensure that your oral health care is in great shape:
- First, make sure that you use the right toothbrush. Different smiles need different types of toothbrushes, so if you’re not sure if you need a manual or electric toothbrush or a soft-bristled vs. a hard-bristled toothbrush, ask us! We can help you make the right choice.
- Second, consider using dental floss too. Not a lot of people may know and recognize the importance of dental floss in dental health care but flossing means that you’re able to reach the spaces in between the teeth to ensure that no food residues are left even after brushing.
- Third, adding the mouthwash to the weekly grocery list could truly be beneficial too. Its liquid form makes it easier for it to brush off stains and cavity-causing bacteria off your teeth, plus it will help give you the perfect minty breath freshness that brushing alone could not give you.
- Lastly, visit your dental professional as often as recommended. Seeing your dental professional when needed will save you from all the trouble that a toothache could cause.
You can help keep your teeth in great shape if you follow the steps outlined above and contact Academy Dental, your Victoria dentist, if you have any questions or concerns about your oral health care routine.
How important is your oral health for you? Did you know that your whole body suffers if the mouth, especially the teeth, tongue and gums are infected?
Sugary and starchy foods are usually the main cause of tooth problems. People who love to eat sweets are also more prone to developing tooth problems. If you are one of these people, here are a couple of food types that you might want to avoid:
- Foods that cling to your teeth; cavities do not spread but food stuck between teeth can cause cavity growth in both teeth.
- Foods that are high in carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are fermentable which means they could create an environment inside your mouth that becomes conducive for decay.
- Acidic foods. Prolonged exposure of your teeth and gums to acid can cause cavities and possibly decay.
Regular brushing and flossing are two of the most important responsibilities that every person has. If you want great oral health, you have to start eating right! So visit Academy Dental and book your appointment for regular checkups! We’re here to help you if you have any concerns or any questions about the best things to eat for a healthy mouth and great oral health care, or which foods are not right for you and should be avoided as much as possible.
Did you know that it was possible for you to get a great dental plan? This may sound funny in the beginning but once you see how much savings you have, you could only imagine laughing about it after you make the purchase. The cost of everything these days are going up by the minute and if you are not financially prepared for emergency situations which may be about anything and everything including your dental health, you could drown yourself in debt you are not prepared for.
Preventive maintenance is always the best way to go. If you visit your dentist once every six months or a bit more regularly when you’re told to, then you won’t have to worry about your oral health. A lot of people think that dental health care only adds up to the high maintenance cost that they have to live with. Perhaps this is because they think less of dental health care or that they do not have the right dental care plan.
Instead of looking for a new plan that could work for them, they altogether ditch seeing their dentist at least twice in a year. Although many of they are unaware of it but they are putting their lives at great risks just because they do not think that dental health is important or that it can be life-changing.
To be able to save yourself from all the trouble that a not-so-good dental health plan may give birth to, here are some of the things that they need to be able to offer you.
- Get yourself a dental health insurance that covers not only the basic dental procedures but even the more complicated procedures like root canal.
- A perfect dental health care plan must allow you to freely see your dentist within a year.
There are so many thing about dental health care that people still need to understand but first on the list should be on its value.
Have you learned about our new dental plans policy?
Thank you to our staff, sponsors and volunteers for helping us provide over $35,000 of Free Dentistry to Victoria and Sooke residents!
Our Dentistry from the Heart event was made a success by everyone who took the time out of their busy day to help us deliver free dental care to those in need. We appreciate your support!
- Stick in the Mud for all-day coffee
- Village foods for a $100 gift card
- Little Vienna for bakery brownies
- Bob Hudson from Sooke fire department for his generous donation
- Sooke 2 for 1 for a Pizza Lunch for our staff
- Patterson Dental & Dentsply for Sonicare Toothbrush and additional products
- Henry Schein for products and a coffeemaker for our raffle
- Cafe Brio for a $75 Gift Card for raffle
- Van Houtte for Coffee
- Thrifty Foods for a $150 GC
- Sun Star Butler for toothbrushes
- Synergy Organics for organic mouth rinse
- Red Barn Market for bananas and apples
- Sensodyne for toothpaste
- Oregano’s Pizza in Fairfield for lunch at Fort Street
Thank you once again to all of our supporters, and donations!
Have you read the feature article in Times Colonist on our Dentistry from the Heart event? If not, click here to view an online PDF version.
Are you blessed with a perfect set of teeth? If you are not, there is nothing to worry about, because a majority of people are lucky because there are now ways to could get the perfect teeth without waiting for a miracle. All they need is to look through several dental treatments and they might just stumble upon what they need.
A dental makeover will surely make you feel more confident inside and out. A dental makeover is not only meant to give you the perfect smile that you have always wanted, it is also designed to ensure that your dental health is improved in the process too. What is great about dental treatments is that there are actual procedures that make the impossible possible, providing a restorative effect on the teeth.
One of the most important things that a dentist could do to their patient is to ensure that the complete teeth that they have are protected from getting broken, damaged or infected. Then, there are dental fillings to fill in the gaps between guys which may be caused by oral cavities. In case you need to deal with chipped and cracked teeth, consult your dentist about it. There are two possible procedures to make your teeth look healthy. There is the use of composite bonding and then the more popular dental veneers. Oftentimes, chipped teeth are not given enough attention because they are considered a very small problem in general. However, chips can harbour bacteria and cause other problems such as weakened enamel and cavities.
Talk to your dentist today at Academy Dental and look into what type of dental makeover could work for you. You deserve the smile that’s right for you!
Do you already have a dental plan? If you still do not have one, you could only expect to have a lot of problems to deal with in case you need to go through an emergency dental procedure. Not to mention the amount of money that you need to cover the expenses of a procedure.
Here are a few reasons why you might want to consider getting a dental plan, if you don’t already have one.
- First, a dental plan can make you and your life healthier. Although you often see your doctor for regular check-ups or to get regular treatments done, having a dental plan will allow you to take advantage of the more expensive treatments like root canals and wisdom teeth extractions.
- Second, an amazing dental plan will encourage you to see your dentist as often as possible without worrying about the cost that it might incur. With regular and consistent dental check-up, you may be left only to imagine dental problems instead of experiencing them for yourself.
- Lastly, a dental plan will save you from all the trouble that comes with emergency dental procedures. Such situations could be caused by any number of things and sadly, we have to deal with them at least once in a lifetime. If you are not prepared for it financially, these procedures could drain you and your pocket. To be best prepared for it, speak to your employer or a third-party provider who can show you your options when it comes to paying for your dental health.
We’re proud to accept dental plans. Contact us today to book an appointment.
Why do people get dental implants? If you lost a tooth because the dentist had no choice but to extract it, would you rather live your life without it? Knowing that you have the option to have it replaced and the replacement looks a lot like the natural teeth that you have, wouldn’t you go for it? If your answer is YES, then you now understand the value of dental implants in a person’s life.
Dental implantation is one of the most popular forms of restorative dental procedures. Not only because it solves people’s problems about a missing tooth or teeth, it also helps bring back a person’s self-confidence which truly means a lot. Although it is often compared to dentures, dental implants are actually noted for their strong hold on the gums and the natural look and feel that it brings to a person’s smile.
More than that, dental implants do not require you to go through the discomfort of wearing a denture. You don’t have to worry about your false teeth falling off because you do not need false teeth when you have dental implants as an option to begin with. Once the component has been properly installed, your life is back to normal.
Before the installation, the more tedious process involves getting the right form of the tooth that you are missing as well as the color shade of your teeth. However, our experts are trained to design a dental implant that matches your existing teeth and give you a seamless, perfect look.
Contact Academy Dental today if you have any questions about dental implants or if you would like to book a consultation for dental implants.
Page 1 of 1412345...10...»Last »